Saturday, November 03, 2007

Can you believe it's November? Sometimes I feel like time has gone so fast here and other times I think I've been here forever. Tonight you all change your clocks back, but in Korea they don't do daylight savings, so now I will be 14 hours ahead of family and friends in Ontario!
This past week was busy getting back to the grind of work after having a week off for festival and sporting activities. On the Thursday I went for a field trip with my co-teachers homeroom and it was a beautiful fall day. We just went to a park and walked around and rented bikes for an hour. After that I headed home and some of my students were on the same bus as me. They asked where I lived and then I ended up hosting 6 middle school girls in my apartment! They bought food and snacks and pop and we had a fun little meal here. It was so cute!
This week was Halloween back home, but they don't 'celebrate' Halloween at all here. A bunch of us watched a scary movie at Val's(my other next door neighbour) but it wasn't even that scary really! She made us all little Halloween treat bags, very cool!
Yesterday was a really busy day. I left for Itaewon with Shana at around lunch and we finished up our Christmas shopping. Then I headed off alone to meet up with Katy (she was at a conference) and Sandi! Sandi was one of my 'bosses' at Redeemer in the office. Her daughter is a teacher here and so we met up with her at a Starbucks in Seoul. It was awesome to catch up with her and spend some time with someone from back home. She also brought us a goody bag from Jane!!! Thanks so much Jane.
Then after that I met up with my friend Rachel Pols from Redeemer. She came to Korea about 2 weeks ago. It was so fun to hang out with her. She came and stayed over night at my place.
So this weekend was really fun. I'm trying not to look at the score of the hockey game all day and one of my friends here is downloading it to watch tonight. We have a bet going this year that each time the Habs/Leafs play the loser has to wear the other teams jersey and buy a round of beer at the next game. Dan's wearing my jersey tonight after the Leafs won round 1! I hope they don't let me down tonight! :)

3 comments:

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Karen: I am glad the Maple Leafs won! We think of you every time they play. The Canucks are playing right now, but I hear nothing from Ron in the family room, which means they must be losing! (Sigh) - Happy November! (Mary Lou)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had another great week. How nice that you have so many friends to see and visit with over there! I guess Dan will be wearing your jersery again! Tomorrow Dad & Rob ( & Steve & Lindsay) are off to the Leaf/Sens game. I hope Rob has a better time than Dad - in overtime or a shoot out!!
Love you lots!!! Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
I just got a job with Canadian Connections teaching in Korea about a month and a half ago, so I'm very excited to leave in March...I've been reading your blog and trying to keep up with it so I can know what to expect and look forward to in Korea. I would really like to talk to you more personally, so if you get a free chance please email me at juwelz007@hotmail.com.
Thanks and Take Care,
Julia :)